7.21.2010

I better vet this



I've succumbed!

When I arrived at BYU one of the first things I noticed was that at least 3/4 of the guys -and a number the girls- wore polo shirts. Case and point, this BYU Library commercial. (Just count them, I saw
10!) I thought it was ridiculous! I mean where did these people think they were going, an up-scale badminton garden party or -in the case of the striped variety- a rugby match? So with few exceptions I wore a t-shirt to class 'til the day I graduated.

However, I discovered (or re-discovered) something during an internship in California: apart from Old Navy commercial models nobody in the rest of world seems to wear polo shirts unless they are playing polo, going to an up-scale badminton garden party, or trying to look dressy casual at work (or fighting terrorism and leading the free world, apparently).

Trying to find what you wear to work when you are your own boss has had me perplexed for the last little while.

Am I sitting in the office? Yes.

Am I traipsing around dirty job sites? Yes.

Am I meeting with clients? Yes.

(Am I still stuck at a dentist office part of the day? Also yes.)

Due to the dirt and conditions, I really need to have a pair of jeans on. My button up shirts generally ended up looking pretty shabby by lunch with
all of the walking and dirt.

I still don't condone wearing a polo shirt just for fun, and that's my story and I'm sticking to it!


1 comment:

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

So...I guess you are wearing polos! Have you ever been to an upscale badminton party? If you have, let me know where they are held. I need to be invited! By the way, there was a smudge on the plastic covering the camera lens. We unfortunately didn't realize it till a few days into our trip. Oh well, better pictures next time, right?