6.20.2010

Why is this here?

The answer to the question in the title is, "Who really cares where this is, it's FANTASTIC!"

I am, of course, speaking of a store called "Bonners Books". Now I have been to my fair share of bookstores, and this one is one of my favorites. Bonners Books is located in an innocuous enough town known as Bonners Ferry in northern Idaho. Some of you may recall that I journey up to the 49th parallel to visit the parents of the goddaughter. There are usually two things that I always make a point to do while visiting in the North (besides eat and nap), go to the Mennonite store and buy whatever it is that Mennonites make and go to Bonners Books.

Bonners Books is located in an old building in downtown Bonners Ferry. As you walk in the store you notice all the community announcements in the entryway. If it's a rainy day there may be a black cat lounging near the entrance. The store is well organized and decorated with mostly books both old and new. The wood floor is not level. There is an old grad piano in the middle of the store with books arranged on the lid.

One of the best things about this store is that there is usually no one else there. The books are arranged by categories that make me smile: Too Good for General Fiction, Sort of Metaphysical, True Biographies, Probably Less Than True Biographies, etc.... The selection of books is great. I usually come out of the store with at least five books if not more. I credit Bonners Books with finding me one of the best Volkswagen history books that I've read. In fact, I haven't bought a bad book there yet.

If you ever find yourself 30 miles South of Canada in the Idaho Panhandle then you are close. Stop in, it's worth it!





3 comments:

Nostrebor said...

Nice post - not sure why since I'll probably never go to Bonners Books, but nice nonetheless.

Oh, and nice VW add this week. I was just telling Ruth yesterday as we were driving on some windy hilly Missouri back road that whenever I see a strait steep hill like that (VW add) I get the urge to speed up and catch a little air. She was glad I suppressed the urge.

Elisa said...

I love the books you've been reading lately (according to the list on your blog)--so many elementary/middle school flashbacks in the mix. And A Long Way From Chicago is pretty much the best young adult novel in the history of the universe.

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

Yes Nathan, if I ever do find myself close to Canada I will stop in to Bonners Books! I got a kick out of how they arrange their books. And along with your friend Elisa, I too very much enjoyed A Long Way From Chicago. A Year Down Yonder is very fun too. Very few things I read cause me to laugh out loud. These did just that. AND yet again, YOU HAVE to go to the DC temple! I went there a couple weeks ago and you would LOVE IT!!!!!! I'm telling you, you can just wander!