8.14.2009

Holy Ground

fast1

I've been talking about going for years (no, really this time), and last Tuesday I finally made it out to Speed Week at the Bonneville Salt Flats. It was fantastic!

It was a cool, slightly hazy morning, but by 10:00am the sun came out with a vengeance. When the sun hit the salt my polarized sunglasses did little to keep me from having to squint.

All in all it was a gorgeous day. The cars were amazing and it was evident that participants had spent just as much time preparing their pit transportation as they had preparing their race cars. People were touring around the pits in everything from '57 chevy wagons to rat rod '65 Lincoln Continentals. (this picture is neither of the aforementioned models)

fast3

The best part about the event is that everyone is so friendly. We were able to get down right on the starting line to watch cars take off. Everyone in the pits was eager to talk about their machines and without a second look would invite you to kick the tires and sit in the driver's seat. Gear heads at their best.

fast

If any of you are wondering what a Volkswagen enthusiast is doing at an event called "Speed Week"-- my people are everywhere.

fast2

2 comments:

Nostrebor said...

So cool! I bet that was a lot of fun. I need to go sometime as well.

Cardiganwearer said...

You should definitely go sometime. It's an event!