12.25.2015

A Word on Gifts

There is something about the giving of a gift that seems to (or should) denote more than just someone perceiving what someone else had their eye on and the other person merely getting some object that they wanted. I've never been much of a habitual gift giver, but on occasion if something strikes me as being perfect for someone or the occasion requires I've been known to act. It's not such an odd subject to ponder on this time of year, but this year I've had some fun and meaningful gift exchanges.

Near the beginning of the month I was up in Elko for a cousin's homecoming from Argentina. This cousin's father, my uncle, married into the family when I was pretty young. Judging by the cleanliness of his cars and the impeccable state of repair of all his machines it was clear early on that we shared some similar interests. Thankfully he was willing to sit at family gatherings and patiently discuss cars and all things relating to machinery with a pretty young kid who was more interested in learning then he was actually knowledgeable at that time. Over the years we've shared a lot of fun conversations and have even worked on a few projects together. They day we were getting ready to leave my uncle came up from his garage and presented with this old Snap-On ratchet of his. 
He said there weren't too many people in the family who enjoyed working on and discussing cars as much we two did and he wanted me to have this ratchet of his. Needless to say I was pretty taken aback as these are really great ratchets and really there is nothing I love more than a good tool. I know my tools really well and as cheap or worn as some of them are I value them pretty highly. So my uncle's gesture was really meaningful. I mean what can I say? I've got a great family.

One of the fun gift exchanges I participated in this year was with my friend that I share a shop with. After Christmas last year we were down at the shop talking about how neither of us would probably ever get a car for Christmas and we decided for next year we would give ourselves a budget and each purchase a car for the other. The budget was $500, the cars had to run and be usable, and........ well really that was about it.
After searching around I happened upon a 1982 Chrysler LeBaron convertible and since my friend is a huge Seinfeld fan I knew this car would be perfect. He got me a Suzuki Samurai that had been on it's top a couple of times by the look of it, but honestly both cars run pretty well. He refuses to put the top up and has been driving around in the snow and even took his family of 7 around caroling. I've had the Samurai on two wheels at least once and nearly stuck a couple more times, but it's perfect for the snow (I can't say the same for the convertible, but that doesn't seem to be bothering my friend much). I really had a great time with this.

We don't do much in the way of employee Christmas festivities down at the laundromat, but my employees always make a point of buying little things and gifts and exchanging them with eachother and bringing more Christmas treats down then can feasibly be eaten by all of us. They even fill up a stocking with things for me, nothing grandiose but they are always really thoughtful items. Each year they seem to be spending about the equivalent of what I give them as a Christmas bonus sharing gifts and treats with each other and it always makes me realize what great people I have as employees.


No comments: