4.08.2013

Easter?

This may surprise everyone (that is, everyone not in my family), but the Easter holiday is something I just don't get. Growing up I remember hunting Easter eggs a couple of times and possibly having a family Easter dinner a couple of other times. I do remember doing Easter activities in elementary school, but I honestly felt more like a Jehovah's Witness on Christmas. This was mostly due to the remarks I recall from family members saying things about eggs and bunnies are not how you celebrate Easter. In fact, I remember thinking one year that Mormons don't celebrate Easter. This all was brought home again after watching my uncle's new family celebrating Easter like it's a second Christmas; new outfits, presents (big ones), candy out the yin-yang, big dinners, etc... In my adult years I've taken the stance that extravagant Easters are silly. (Mostly because I have to have something to say when people ask what I'm doing for Easter.) Why do you need presents, you don't have to go to hell, that's your present, Happy Easter! My married siblings all spend Easter with their in-laws and that leaves me eating some vaguely Mexican-themed dinner wondering what holiday it is that everybody keeps referencing.


3 comments:

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

Either way, hope it was a good weekend! And by the way, we loved receiving your letter-thanks. I just might have to go out and by a typewriter! We are planning on swinging through Ely the evening of July 6th and all day on the 7th...possibly all day the 12th too.

Elisa said...

"Why do you need presents, you don't have to go to hell, that's your present, Happy Easter!"

That is the funniest, snarkiest thing I've read in a while. You still got it, Nathan.

Kendra said...

While I do enjoy celebrating Easter (to a lesser extent) this was very amusing. And I love your "...you don't have to go to hell, that's your present, Happy Easter" comment as well. Well played.