9.12.2011

I can do that...

I am happy to report that after a harrowing and epic struggle I managed to retire from the dental office last month. Upon finding myself retired I took a victory trip. I first traveled to Utah to pick up a 1990 Jetta Turbo Diesel that I thought I would be bringing home to add to the collection (more on that later).

I then packed up and headed North. I first stopped in Blackfoot to visit Vintage Jag Works, which is actually a dilapidated farm house 15 miles outside of town where a genius craftsman works miracles. I then continued on up to Bonners Ferry, Idaho for a few days of food and site-seeing. It was summer the day that I drove up to Idaho, but that was apparently the last day as the next day was obviously Fall.

My main reason for making the quick trip up North was to attend Pig-Out in the Park in Spokane. The food was delicious and I (and everybody else) was wet. Fall had decided that copious amounts of rain was called for on the day that I decided to attend Pig-Out in the Park. On the bright side, this meant that the lines at the food booths were non-existent. We quickly ran from booth to booth eating as fast as we could. Also, everyone knows that its easier to stuff yourself when its cold. I ate huckleberry this and that, bacon wrapped hot dogs, other stuff. It was tasty, but I might have to try again next year and hope for better weather.

My goddaughter is nearing three years old and is a very assertive go-getter. Every task was met with a cheery, "I can do that", from opening car doors she couldn't reach to cleaning up her little brother's half digested lunch off of the carpet. At one point I was in the garage fixing a sticking accelerator on the Jetta and I turned around to see her holding a screw driver. "Oh, hi there", I said. She asked what I was doing. "I'm just fixing my car", I said. "Don't worry, I can fix your car", came the cheery reply. Very cute. Here parents are working on finishing their basement this month and I'm sure she will be right in there.

My friend took me down to Wallace, Idaho to look around. I had bought a book about a huge forest fire that happened there in 1910 the last time that I was up at my favorite book store.
 

Their mayor has some lofty theories. They had a lot of interesting things to see. We stopped by a few museums, ate lunch at a saloon, went on a short hike, and I even restrained myself from going to the bordello museum.


After my quick trip I returned to Utah where I attended my cousin's wedding. It was a lot of fun getting together with family and eating and laughing ourselves sick. The Jetta was then requisitioned for other purposes and I returned to holding my breath and hoping that it will still be in once piece by the time their done with it.

Post wedding, I was on the "return Polynesian grandpa to his house" duty. He didn't nap on the trip down nearly as much as I had hoped he would. We had a good time though.

More on retirement to come...

1 comment:

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

Hmmm...you have me intrigued about your retirement! Any moves in the near future? Where is the Jetta? Great post and loved the pictures!