2.17.2009

California, anyone?


Snow, snow, snow. Not only does snow mess up a perfectly clean car, but it also.........well, actually that's probably the most upsetting thing about snow.

The worst of the cold here in Provo is most likely
over. Even with the snow the temperature has been hovering at freezing or above-verses single digit temperatures. Last Sunday was almost warm. As I watch the weather channel I can't help but notice the sunny forecast and mid 60's temperature of California. While the CA smog is bad, it's rarely as bad as a well set in Utah Valley inversion.

I spent most of last week in Reno at a construction competition. The BYU teams did alright. We did better than we did last year and improvement is always good. Having gone to this competition three times now I am more than willing to let someone else give it try. It's fun, it provides some great opportunities for jobs, but it is exhausting.

As I happen to be graduating in a couple of months, finding a job was pretty high on my list of things to do at the competition last week. I spoke with a lot of employers, and found out about a lot of companies. On a side note, did you know that the Army Corp of Engineers is staffed by mostly non-engineers and none of them are in the army? Perhaps a name change would solve the confusion. I don't have anything official yet, but I do have some good prospects. Some of the jobs are out in California and I've been debating whether or not I could even afford to live out there. I spent the better part of a morning looking for homes on the internet in areas I would possibly live, and come to find out now would be a great time to buy a home in California! I've been told by just about everyone that going back to Ely for work would not be the best idea as a single male.

At this point who knows where I will end up. All I can say is that the more it snows the better California looks.

1 comment:

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

I am glad there are some job prospects. That is great! There is a big Army Corp engineering place in Vicksburg, Mississippi (well, if I remember correctly there is). I know a couple of people that work there. And like you said, they aren't in the army either. It will be fun to here where you end up after graduation!